May 18, 2026
Manila – Former President Rodrigo Duterte’s legal team has asked the International Criminal Court (ICC) to delay the start of trial proceedings by up to 19 months after the charges are confirmed on April 23, saying more time is needed to prepare the case on charges related to a bloody anti-drug campaign.
In a filing with the ICC Trial Chamber III, Duterte’s lead lawyer Peter Haynes cited previous ICC cases in which trials began 14 to 19 months after charges were confirmed, which could push the former president’s trial to between June and November 2027.
The proposed timetable contrasts with the prosecution’s demand for the trial to begin on November 30, 2026, less than eight months after the confirmation proceedings.
Haynes said it would be “inappropriate” to set a trial date now because of “external and unresolved factors” that could affect the proceedings.
He said the House should first determine Duterte’s fitness to stand trial, noting that while the assessment was based on a written report during the pretrial phase, the former president’s condition “continues to deteriorate and requires a more comprehensive review before any trial can begin.”
“Victims’ Rights”
The filing is Haynes’ first since replacing Nicholas Kaufman as Duterte’s top lawyer earlier this month.
Haynes said the timetable proposed by prosecutors was “unrealistic” given the amount of evidence, the complexity of the case and the need to review witness statements and supporting material.
“The defense needs sufficient time to conduct an independent investigation, assess the disclosure material and ensure the defendant has the right to be adequately prepared,” he said.
However, the Office of the Prosecutor (OTP) said the earlier trial date was necessary “for the sake of judicial efficiency and the rights of victims awaiting proceedings.”
Prosecutors said they expect to complete all pretrial steps by September 30.
witness, evidence
Duterte faces charges of crimes against humanity, allegedly committing murder and attempted murder while serving as mayor of Davao City from 2011 to 2019 and later as president of the Philippines.
Prosecutors said 60 to 70 witnesses are expected to take the stand, with 25 to 30 expected to testify. Direct inspection may take 175 to 200 hours.
Prosecutors also said they intend to present at least 619 documents and non-testimonial evidence during the pre-confirmation proceedings, including some 197 speeches and public statements by Duterte, as well as transcripts and translations.

