May 21, 2026
Manila – Malacañang on Wednesday claimed that the arrest warrant issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) against Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa is valid, following the Supreme Court’s (SC) decision to deny the senator’s request for interim legal protection to prevent possible arrest.
The 9-5-1 vote rejected dela Rosa’s request for temporary relief from an ICC arrest warrant for alleged indirect complicity in crimes against humanity related to the Duterte administration’s anti-drug war while he was chief of the Philippine National Police (PNP) from July 2016 to April 2018.
“So far, we can say that the arrest warrant for Senator Barto de la Rosa is valid. All possible interpretations and evaluations of the above-mentioned resolution of the Supreme Court will be submitted to Secretary of State Frederic Vidal,” Castro told reporters at a press conference.
Asked whether local authorities would now execute arrest warrants following the Supreme Court ruling, Castro pointed to a statement from the Office of the Solicitor General (OSG).
“According to the OSG, we saw a statement from the OSG, which represents our government. It said that it does not need to go through the local court. So since there is no TRO, we are saying that the arrest warrant is valid,” she said.
Castro also echoed the OSG’s position, describing de la Rosa as a “fugitive from justice.”
Asked whether the senator was now considered a fugitive, the palace official responded: “It is also the OSG’s view that he is considered a fugitive.”
She then deferred matters regarding the operation of the warrant to the Justice Department.
De La Rosa reportedly resurfaced last week after a six-month absence from public view, but disappeared from view again after leaving the Senate in the early hours of May 14 with political ally Senator Robin Padilla. /mr


