May 22, 2026
Manila – The arrest warrant of Senator Ronald “Bato” dela Rosa issued by the International Criminal Court (ICC) is now executable, according to the Department of Justice, adding that the Philippine National Police (PNP) and the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) have been directed to execute the warrant.
Dela Rosa, who served as Philippine National Police chief, was the enforcer of the country’s drug war under former President Rodrigo Duterte, which killed thousands in the Philippines.
He is now on the run after fleeing the Senate building hours after a shooting between government agents and Senate security last week.
READ: No TRO: Bartholdy de la Rosa’s request to block ICC arrest rejected
“I would like to confirm that Philippine law enforcement agencies, including the Philippine National Police and the National Bureau of Investigation, are now tasked with the arrest of Senator Ronald Bato de la Rosa,” Attorney General Frederic Vida said at a press conference on Thursday.
Vida explained that they arrested de la Rosa because there was an active arrest warrant from the International Criminal Court.
“He is accused of being an accomplice in crimes against humanity,” Vida said.
The International Criminal Court last week issued an arrest warrant for Dela Rosa, who along with Duterte and other “co-defendants” was charged with murder against humanity.
Government agents who failed to arrest him later suspended their arrest after a dramatic chase on the Senate stairs that day as Senate leadership offered him asylum.
READ: SolGen: ICC arrest warrant for de la Rosa could be issued without legal hurdles
Vida added that the Supreme Court’s interim ruling on Wednesday rejecting the former police chief’s request for a temporary restraining order meant that the ICC search warrant could now be executed.
“We are pursuing this in order to achieve the ends of justice,” Vidal added, warning that anyone who tried to help de la Rosa avoid arrest would “face the consequences.”
His lawyer said on Wednesday he would appeal the Supreme Court ruling.
“Senator Bato (De la Rosa) is a fugitive and he should be brought to the International Criminal Court to face the charges before him,” Vida said.
While de la Rosa’s main petition challenging the substance of the arrest warrant is still pending, Vidal explained that the lack of a restraining order or order quo quo removes any legal impediment to the enforcement of the international arrest warrant.
CCTV footage shows de la Rosa leaving the Senate in the early hours of May 14, accompanied by Senator Robin Padilla.
Dela Rosa served as the national police chief from 2016 to 2018 at the beginning of Duterte’s anti-drug campaign. After retiring, he was elected to the Senate for two consecutive six-year terms. with AFP /dl


